D-833 and YSB: Chemical Health Services
Chemical Health Spotlight:
Did you know that District 833 and the Youth Service Bureau have partnered to provide two Chemical Health Specialists to deliver services in the high schools?
‘YSB’ is a non-profit located in Washington County and offers a range of services for youth and their families. How we help:
Gina Johnson, Prevention Specialist
Colleen O’Neil, LADC, Clinical Specialist
Gina is the Chemical Health Prevention Specialist for District 833 and the surrounding community. Her role is to help educate students, staff, and parents on the dangers of substance use and to positively influence youth to make healthier choices. She has been doing this in the district by:
- Classroom, staff and parent presentations on chemical health issues such as vaping, brain development, prevention tools for parents, peer pressure and refusal skills, and more.
- Newsletters to parents/staff on chemical health issues (current trends, prevention, education, and resources.)
- Sustain and support student clubs/ groups promoting health and wellness. Such as the Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD).
- Prevention Campaigns within the district as well as in the community.
- School policy and procedure development.
If you are interested in bringing Gina into your classroom for a presentation or have other prevention needs, please contact her at GJohnson1@sowashco.org
Stay tuned for next week’s Chemical Health Spotlight on the Chemical Health Clinical Specialist, Colleen O’Neil, LADC.
Learn more about all YSB’s Chemical Health Services.