Youth Service Bureau, Inc. recognizes that substance use and abuse adversely impact a young person’s physical, social, and emotional development. YSB wants to share in the responsibility of addressing this issue because preventing and reducing student alcohol, tobacco (including e-cigarettes), and drug use improves quality of life, academic performance, attendance, classroom behaviors, and peer/peer and peer/teacher interactions. It reduces crime and motor vehicle crashes and fatalities and lowers health care costs.
While the good news is the majority of Washington County youth make healthy choices, we have a responsibility to optimize the health and well-being of all young people.
The possibility that your child is involved with substances is frightening and overwhelming. It begs the question, “what’s a parent to do?” While there are no quick fixes, parents do have influence and there are many resources out there to help.
You do not have to do this alone. YSB has provided several chemical health resource guides:
Chemical Awareness Program (CAP)
- Chemical Health Resource Guide– a snapshot of resources to guide you as you navigate various stages of your child’s substance use
- Education, Prevention, and Early Intervention– educational and early intervention resources to guide you during your child’s experimentation with substances
- Crisis, Assessment, and Treatment – a variety of immediate support resources when your child’s substance use is worrisome and has become a pattern
- Parent/Guardian Support – resources to support you as your child continues substance use despite multiple interventions and boundary setting
- Family Addiction Resources – supports to access when there is addiction in the family
- Teen Substance Misuse Self-Help – a wide variety of resources for teens to address their substance misuse including mutual aid groups, sober Apps, quit lines, and educational websites
- The Power of Relationships – guiding questions to build relationships
- Preventing Drug Use – learn the risk and protective factors
Tips and Tools
- E-Liquid and Vaping Device Drop-off
- Found an E-cig? Now What?
- Chemical Health Resource Guide
- Marijuana Talk Kit
- Marijuana and the Responsible Parent
- 10 Things to Say to Your Friends When They Pressure You to Drink or Use Drugs
- Should I talk to My Kids About Vaping? Infographic for Parents
- 10 Tips to Prevent Teen Chemical Use