Frequently Asked Questions

Is YSB Hiring?

Openings for Full time and Volunteer positions vary throughout the year. Check out our “Join Us” page for opportunities to become a part of our team!

Who can refer a child/teen to YSB?

ANYONE concerned about a child or teen’s behaviors, choices and/or mental health can refer someone to YSB. This includes parents, teachers, school administrators, social workers, school/officer liaisons, etc. Youth and Teens can call to ask for help for themselves, too.

Washington County Police and Court referrals are also common for “Diversion” services for situations involving law enforcement, but you don’t have to wait for someone else to tell you to call YSB.

I am concerned about my child’s/teen's choices and behaviors, but I don't have a referral. Where do I start?

Contact any of our 3 locations to briefly discuss your concerns, and we will schedule a meeting with a highly qualified YSB staff member who can help! Our website also has information about services and the staff you will be meeting with— so even after you’ve scheduled, you can find out more about who you are meeting with and what to expect.

Do you provide counseling for adults?

We can work with adults around parenting issues. While the primary client must be a child, YSB counselors are able to work with adults in their role as parents. We can also assist in locating additional resources for you if needed.

Do you accept insurance for counseling services?

YSB has numerous resources, thanks to local community support, to make services affordable to everyone.

YSB therapists are eligible for reimbursement by many health care plans. Our staff will help you determine what level of coverage may be available.

In situations where insurance reimbursement is not available, our staff will work with the family to establish an affordable rate for services.  Please contact one of our offices to discuss our need based, Sliding-Fee application.

What if I can’t afford the listed session fees?

YSB services are affordable, confidential, and we strive not to deny service due to their financial situation. We have a need-based sliding-fee scale available, as well as accept many insurance providers.  Please contact one of our offices to discuss a sliding-fee application.

What are the credentials and experiences of YSB counselors?

Please refer to the Our Staff page to review the credentials and experience for each YSB counselor, along with any other YSB staff member.

Are you a part of the Police Department?

YSB is a separate nonprofit organization—focused on helping youth turn challenging situations into positive outcomes. While we partner with Washington County corrections and police departments, we also work with schools, parents, youth and community members.

What services does YSB provide?

YSB provides Youth-Focused Family Counseling, Diversion Programs, Chemical Health, a Military Family Program, and Youth & Family Education. Please see What We Do for more information.

Diversion Specific FAQs

Why do I have to attend classes when my child is the one requiring Diversion services?

We understand that the reason a youth was referred was typically in response to their own behavior and choices, and we want the youth to be held accountable for their actions. We also focus on building knowledge and skills to prevent re-occurrence of incidents and behaviors requiring involvement of law enforcement in the future.  Research and program evaluation show that Community Justice/Diversion programs are more effective when parents are involved.

Can I get a copy of “Community Work Service” sites?

Only the Diversion Specialist can give out that list, after meeting with the client. Even if they have done CWS with us before, the family still needs to meet with YSB staff to sign releases. We also have a close relationship with our work sites and have told them we only give the list to our clients.

What if I can’t make it to a class/program because of work/life schedules?

We can work around people’s schedules. When you meet with the Diversion Specialists, be sure to let them know that your personal schedules make it hard to attend certain classes that your youth is required to partake in. From there we provide alternative programs we can offer their family to make sure they are successful in our program

What happens if we don't want to participate or complete the program?

If you decide not to participate in our Diversion Program, the referral is sent back to the referring party and it is then usually sent to juvenile court. From that point the youth and the family are required to do whatever the judge says. Also, in Minnesota, every youth that goes through court is automatically put on probation.

Why is my child the only one in trouble?

Depending on why your child is being referred to YSB, they may not be the only one participating in our program offerings. Due to client privacy, however, we can only discuss your own child with you.

Do I have to disclose this info on job and/or college apps?

Normally after going through a Diversion program, there is no record saying that you were ever charged with anything. We do also live in a world where everything can be searched and found on the Internet, so before applying for jobs and colleges, it doesn’t hurt to check in with your local police department and see if the youth has a record that people can see.

Can I bring siblings (that weren't involved) to the class?

We understand that the siblings may need to come along, but we would appreciate it if they can sit in the waiting area. Siblings must be old enough to maintain safe and respectful behavior on their own while waiting during your entire appointment/class.